Thursday, October 7, 2010

This is not a post about jokes.

At least, not intentional ones.

A friend of mine is a graduate student in a theater production program at a Prestigious Ivy League University, and as such she gets access to many free theater tickets that her program has made it very clear she must use or she will be reprimanded/shunned/thrown in a fiery volcano. So she invites her friends to a lot of shows. I had an opportunity to see the amazing-sounding Brief Encounter with her, didn't hear what show it was when she told me on the phone, and ended up doing my laundry that night instead. I'm still pissed about that.

But I digress.

The show I did go to see with her, under no small amount of coercion, was Love, Loss, and What I Wore. For those unfamiliar with this title, it is an off-Broadway show with a rotating cast of five women. In Vagina Monologue-style, they tell stories about Important Life Events and the clothes that defined them at those times. It's not a bad concept - everyone has a piece of clothing that they associate with a particular person ("He broke my heart, so I stole his Def Leppard t-shirt.") or event ("I was wearing this jacket when I saw Def Leppard in concert for the first time.") or time in your life ("Those jeans had the perfect pocket to hold my Walkman so I could listen to my Def Leppard tapes."). I sort of* love clothes, so I might have somewhat more of these than a normal person.

But the execution of said concept was less than ideal. A lot of the humor was based around "ladies, AMIRITE?" type "jokes" - good jeans are difficult to find! My purse is disorganized! My mom hated the way I dressed as a teen! Ha ha, we all have these things in common because we are LADIES!! It was as though the characters were all actually the women Cosmo thinks exist, the ones who rub ice cubes on their nipples and flirt with dudes in the produce aisle by asking them which banana looks riper. Also, my mom never cared what I wore, thus the inclusion of a pink spandex unitard in my sixth-grade wardrobe rotation.

There were some successful parts - the parts that were actual stories that sounded like real people were cute, mostly. But sometimes even that didn't work. One of the cast members in the cast I saw was Jamie-Lynn Sigler, most famous for her role as Meadow Soprano in That HBO Show I Never Watched. Based on her performance in this show, I am going to go ahead and say she is not very good at acting. She is very pretty, certainly, and I'm sure she is good at something, but acting is not really it.

So she is doing this monologue about boots: I. Love. Boots. I remember my first pair - they were army green and I wore them every day. They made me feel powerful. Now, in Jamie-Lynn's defense, this monologue was not exactly Tom Stoppard, but I think in the right hands it could have been good. But then this happened:

I went off to art school in Berkeley, and I had two pairs of boots: one was caramel brown and one was dark brown. I wore them with very short skirts. I felt so powerful in my brown boots and my short skirts.
[incredibly long pause]
But then one night, a guy broke into my apartment...and raped me.

Obviously, this is not supposed to be a joke: "haha! You got raped! BURN!" Not cool. But my friend and I were both COMPLETELY OVERCOME in paroxysms of laughter, shaking uncontrollably in an effort to stifle the giggles that wanted to bubble up and disrupt what was otherwise a completely silent moment in the theater. I have no memory of the rest of the monologue, because we were doing that thing where we would regain control of ourselves, but then just feel the other person shaking next to us, and we were back in it again. I believe this is called in the medical profession a "giggle fit."

I was thinking about why this happened. Certainly, a girl getting raped is not funny. And it's not like we were being affected by the crowd - they were all stone-silent. And I figured it out, before I read Erin's post, and then I read it, and she mentions the phenomenon as well:

An unexpected moment interrupts the narrative and subverts your expectations and you’re laughing


It's not comedy rule #1 (I think that is "farts are funny"), but it's up there, certainly: set up expectations, then flip them. We can talk more about that, and the reverse-double-flip used by a lot of newer comedies, in another post, but for now, just trust me. It's a thing.

What I expected Jamie-Lynn to say, based on the fact that she had been going on and on and fucking ON about her goddamn boots, was "one night, a guy broke into my apartment...and stole my boots." So the fact that she said something SO COMPLETELY MORE TERRIBLE than her boots being stolen was somehow hilarious. Again, I think that in more capable hands, this transition could have worked - maybe. But the setup, still, did not lead us to a place where we expected, and that made it funny to us.

Perhaps this is part of the reason that sometimes a "dramatic" scene written or acted poorly is sometimes funnier than a comedic scene. What do you guys think?

*understatement. COMEDY GOLD

8 comments:

Laurie Stark said...

Ok, even I laughed at that line and my deep and abiding hatred of rape jokes has been WELL-DOCUMENTED. I think you are exactly right about why that was hilarious! That's so interesting and a really good thing to remember when writing comedy AND when writing drama.

The climactic scene in Adam Sandler's "Click" is similarly gut-busting hilarious but in that case I think it's because it is SO UNREASONABLY OVERWROUGHT after an entire movie that is really not dramatic at all. Horrible Thing upon Horrible Thing continue to pile up and instead of feeling empathy, it is just incredibly funny and awkward. I need to rewatch that movie to analyze.

Wait, no I don't.

lifeisgood said...

Laurie and Anna, I am right there with you. I was waiting for the "he stole my boots because he was a transvestite/drag queen and loved my style, but I was so bummed because they were my favorite boots." I think the whole rape "punch line" is so awful in part because it sets up the audience to sympathize and then slams its collective head into a brick wall instead. I hate rape scenes, rape jokes, and even the word. But...I would have blurted out with a loud HA and a snort. Right on, sista.

Erin Cary said...

ON BOARD. Last summer, my friend was deeply involved in one of those ten-minute play festivals--he was fantastic that night and in no way involved with the piece I'm about to describe. It was about a soldier visiting his own grave as a ghost. Yup, all the terrible possibilities your brain is churning up as horrible directions this play could take are right on. He sees his mother and father, now divorced, separately crying by his tombstone. The father choked down sobs while manfully expressing his disappointment that there would be no more father-son fishing trips. The mother read a letter from the son's newly-engaged ex-gf. All the while, they couldn't hear the soldier desperately trying to speak to them...ugh.
My best friend was there with me and we were both choking down laughter with more physical force than we thought ourselves capable of. We left with teary makeup and sore stomachs. Honestly, it's a really fond memory.
I think the explanations y'all have given for why Anna laughed are 100% true, plus there's something about having gravity forced on you by a dark topic presented by a SUPER-SHITTY performance/script that's just hilarious. I felt like I was dodging a corny attempt to manipulate me into thinking I was watching a decent piece of work. Sorry, Jamie-Lynn--not to overlook your pain...but I don't think Nancy Sinatra was singing about a flimsy dramatic premise.

Erin McJ said...

In a weird way, from just the details you've given here, it almost DOES sound like the drama equivalent of a rape joke: a rape used as something cheap to make some point. Girl wears sexy things, feels powerful, then gets raped! Didn't the world show her a thing!

Perhaps it was less irritating in context (if not more successful).

Laurie Stark said...

Yes, re: Erin McJ! Such a good point.

Movie Maven said...

Good points, everybody! I love discussions.

Erin - that "tv trope" view of rape totally fits into the overall "ladies be shoppin" sort of tone of the piece. It seems like female characters on tv shows aren't ALLOWED to be powerful/sexy without being "punished" (obviously there are exceptions to this). This play was definitely written like a second-rate television show.

Real good, Anna, make the first post you write on the comedy blog about rape.

Laurie Stark said...

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Russell said...

"Perhaps this is part of the reason that sometimes a "dramatic" scene written or acted poorly is sometimes funnier than a comedic scene. "

YES. This is why bad dramas are way more fun to watch than bad comedies. With bad comedies you can see the jokes coming a mile away, but with a bad drama the attempts to heighten the tension come out of left field, resulting in laughter.

Post a Comment