Thursday, October 14, 2010

From a Chat Dated 10/8/08


[photo stolen from a blog called mccain sucks]


Some of the topics - okay, all of the topics - we cover in this chat will be outdated, since it's mostly about the Palin/Biden VP debates two years ago. But I think Laurie's and my points about impersonations are interesting. For those who fear wading through our (VERY HILARIOUS) gchat transcript, the gist is: Laurie expects impersonations to shed a new light on the person being impersonated. As she says below, "what makes an impersonation funny is teasing something out about the person that I, as the audience, either didn't notice or didn't realize I noticed-- it creates that "a ha!" kind of humor."

I, on the other hand, am perfectly willing to accept/laugh at impersonations that are just impersonations. In the chat, I reference a Saturday Night Live sketch that isn't good, but Bill Hader's impression of Daniel Day-Lewis in There Will Be Blood is just really, really accurate. I don't feel like I'm learning more about the character by watching the impersonation, I'm just delighted that someone is that good a mimic.

But then I thought maybe there was some sort of undercurrent of the "a ha" humor Laurie refers to in my enjoyment of impersonations as well. Donald Glover's Obama impression (starting at about :50 in this clip) is one of my favorite impressions, Obama or otherwise, because he really nails the eye-blinking, I think, more than anything else, and Obama's eye-blinking was not something I noticed on a conscious level before seeing Glover's bit in . (Also the part about the Cheesecake Factory is just funny. Obama at CF? LOLOL 4EVER.)

Then, later, Laurie brings up the fact that Jason Sudeikis as Biden is funny to her, even though she has no real way of knowing whether the impersonation is accurate. This brings up an interesting point: is a "good" comedic impersonation measured by its accuracy? Or by its stand-alone funniness? I feel like I have seen impersonations that are not necessarily super-accurate, but are still funny, but I will always find something entertaining in a really amazing accurate impersonation. What do you guys think makes a good impersonation?

Anyway, here is the chat, slightly edited to exclude references to earlier conversations and for flow purposes.

Laurie: i'm thinking about writing a fake joke structure thing about tina fey's sarah palin
did you see this week's SNL?
or at least the vp debate bit?
[ed. note: I fucking love Queen Latifah]
Anna: i did
Laurie: i thought it was interesting because i've never seen joe biden speak, ever
and i've only seen sarah palin speak once, briefly
and, coming from that perspective, i thought jason sudeikis' joe biden held up really well
i laughed a lot at his part
but i don't think tina fey's sarah palin got even one sincere laugh out of me
and i was, like, trying
her impersonation kind of reminded me of 'men never ask for directions' jokes
like, you laugh at the impersonation because you want to laugh at sarah palin, moreso than because the jokes were legit funny
although i don't know, that's just my perspective
Anna: well, it's not like they're even jokes at this point
Laurie: right, right
Anna: she could literally just say everything palin said
Laurie: but how is that legit humor
i mean, to me, i don't know
Anna: what do you mean by legit humor?
like - actually funny?
or like - respectable?
or like - with some intelligence?
Laurie: i guess i mean an actual crafted joke
which is maybe not required
Anna: it's an impersonation, though, which i don't think takes the same kind of joke-crafting
Laurie: hmmmm
Anna: there was another sketch in like an ice cream parlor
in re: the “I drink your milkshake” line in there will be blood
and it was NOT funny at all
but i watched it and liked it because bill hader's impression of the character in twbb was PERFECT
Laurie: i guess this is a preference thing, but to me, what makes an impersonation funny is teasing something out about the person that i, as the audience, either didn't notice or didn't realize i noticed-- it creates that "a ha!" kind of humor
Anna: oh ok
Laurie: just mimicing what the person said in a funny accent isn't really funny to me
Anna: that makes total sense
Laurie: but i am not the arbiter of humor for snl
UNFORTUNATELY
Anna: srsly
Laurie: i only saw that opening sketch
Anna: i keep giving it a chance
and it keeps failing me
i still love kristen wiig though
Laurie: i don't know her
i haven't watched it in years except for little youtube clips here and there
so i'm not up on the new class
Anna: there was another sketch called "mark wahlberg talks to animals"
where one of the guys in the cast was mark wahlberg
Laurie: haha
Anna: and he just went up to different animals like "hi, dog. so, you're a dog. how's that?"
Laurie: HA
Anna: and while i was watching it, i was like "this is dumb"
but in retrospect, it was kind of amazing
Laurie: it sounds amazing
Anna: also another impersonation-based thing
"hi, goat, i like your beard. i had a beard in the perfect storm. did you see that, goat? say hi to your mother for me."
and there was an actual goat
Laurie: haha
Anna: but yeah - the fey/palin thing is like a lot of their sketches, actually, where they pick one joke
that is sometimes funny
and do a skit around it
even though it could just be a one-liner
Laurie: as you were telling me this, i was thinking, "i wonder if they were high when they wrote that"
Anna: god, i hope so
Laurie: and then i went to my google reader and one of my tv writing blogs has this post-- "How common is marijuana use in writers' rooms? Do companies really enforce a no-drug policy, or just let the kids play as long as the shows are getting ratings? Is Canada different than U.S. in this respect?"
Anna: HA
Laurie: well the weird thing about the palin/biden thing to me
was just that the biden impersonation held up for me even though i've never seen him before in real life
it was still funny to me
but the palin impersonation wasn't funny to me, without having seen her in real life
i don't know if that's, like, the measure of a good impersonation haha
Anna: gotcha
Laurie: and i'm obviously only one person
but i just thought it was interesting
Anna: i think your definition of impersonation gives comedians too much credit
Laurie: haha
Anna: i'm not saying you're wrong
i'm just saying most people are not as smart as you
Laurie: well i know that, duh
Anna: haha
Laurie: but i don't believe that TINA FEY isn't as smart as me
Anna: i'm gonna give her a pass on this one
because i can't think of anything she could do that is funnier than palin herself
it's like trying to write an ultra-condensed movie for a comedy
i like can't
and they are never as funny
Laurie: yes exactly
that was the exact comparison i was thinking of on sunday when i watched it
it's like there's no way to make it legit funny
i mean, for me
although i do think a big thing for me is when comedians don't really commit to a character, but do this "wink wink nudge nudge" thing with the audience
i HATE that
and that's what i felt like tina fey was doing-- but, it's hard to tell how much of that was tina fey wink-nudging and how much of it was the palin character doing it?
i don't know
Anna: haha i was JUST going to say that
because i didn't get that at all from fey
but then i thought about it
and that's palin's whole MO
Laurie: i mean, i think that's part of the joke
right
Anna: but i completely agree on the winking
Laurie: btw, the answer to the marijuana in the writers’ room question was: "no one gets high at work."
Anna: HAHA
now THAT'S comedy
my roommate is like always high at work
but she's not a tv writer, i guess
Laurie: hahahhaa
he meant tv writers
not, like, people at dunkin donuts
Anna: hahaha
wait, no one gets high or no one is high
I HAVE POKED HOLES IN YOUR LOGIC
Laurie: haha
i think no one IS high
Anna: if i worked at dunkin donuts i would be so high

4 comments:

Laurie Stark said...

I think my overall feeling on impersonations, which you have already summarized above but I will now also summarize below-- a summarization of your summary, if you will-- is that an impersonation works for me if it does one or both of the following:

(1) Highlights something about the person I hadn't noticed or before, or hadn't realized I noticed (such as Obama's eye-blinking, or the underlying hypocrisy in a politician's platform), or

(2) Contains legitimately good jokes that stand with or without my familiarity with the person being impersonated.

What didn't work for me about Fey's Palin impersonation is that the jokes were too on-the-nose and wink-wink-nudge-nudgey (in my opinion), and the impersonation only covered tics and expressions that had been discussed ad nauseum.

You pointed out in our conversation that it's hard to make fun of something that's already so funny. I think that's a great point. I do think it's harder to do a genuinely funny impersonation of someone who is already theatrically bizarre. I wonder if the answer then is to find the tragedy in that person instead. I'm thinking possibly of-- god, I'm so bad with SNL actor names-- who is the guy who used to play GWB like he was a pathetic child? There was something sad in that impersonation, which I think is why it was funny.

I'm not 100% sure what I mean by that, but I think there's something there.

Movie Maven said...

I feel like this:

(2) Contains legitimately good jokes that stand with or without my familiarity with the person being impersonated.

isn't as much an assessment of impersonations specifically, though. Like - if something is funny, it's funny, right? So why does it matter if it's an impersonation if it's just a funny thing? As an example, would Sudeikis' Biden be funny if the sketch was about a fake vice presidential candidate?

A good example of this for myself is Kristen Wiig's Suze Orman impersonation - I think it's pretty funny most of the time, because I think Kristen Wiig is funny and she has some good, consistent character mannerisms. Also she says "jackets" in a funny way. But the fact that it's a Suze Orman impersonation has no bearing whatsoever on my enjoyment of the sketch. It could be called "Mitzi Barnacle's Lesbian Financial Show" and I would find it as funny as I do now, since I'm not terribly familiar with Suze Orman or any "Orman-isms." Does this mean it's funny? Sure. Does this mean it's a good impersonation? Maybe. But I personally wouldn't use it as a litmus test of a quality impersonation.

I think there is something in the "tragedy" thing...I wonder what the equivalent "tragic" Palin impersonation would have been, though!

I think it was maybe Will Forte who did GWB as a child?

Erin Cary said...

Sigh. *turns to drawing board upon which I've laid out my plan to chat with Anna and Laurie about jokes and stuff, crumples up plan, cries, rallies, begins sketching new plan*

Laurie Stark said...

Ok, my head just exploded. Do all impersonations necessarily have to be funny? Or can they just be, like, impressive? I need a Venn diagram.

And I don't think it was Will Forte, but now I can't find who it was. Maybe I invented this impersonation in my head.

Post a Comment